Frequently Asked Questions about Indoor Tanning Salons
What happens during the indoor tanning process?
UVB stimulates melanocyte cells in the skin to produce melanin (a pigment), which is then oxidized by UVA, turning it brown. As the outer layer of skin sheds, cells are lost and your tan will fade. To maintain a tan requires continued exposure to UV light. The degree of colouring depends on the amount of melanin you have, your individual reaction to UV light and the length of exposure.
How long will it take to get a tan?
Many skin types will show colour change after the second or third session of indoor tanning. Most can achieve a beautiful tan after 8-10 full sessions. After that, only 1 or 2 times per week will maintain your golden tan indefinitely.
What are your top tips for tanning safely?
- Protect your body. Select the right tanning products, always wear eye protection and use a quality SPF lip balm.
- Consult a tanning professional to suggest the right tanning method for you.
- Don’t overdo it. Excessive exposure to UV light can be damaging. Try airbrush tanning or bronzer products if you want to get golden fast.
Why do I have to wear eye protectors for indoor tanning?
You must wear eyewear because your eyelids do not provide protection against UV rays. Failure to protect your eyes may result in loss of night and/or colour vision.
Is wearing an SPF lip balm really that important?
Yes! Your lips do not produce melanin and will burn easily. Be sure to protect your pucker for beautiful, supple lips.
How can I get the most out of my tan?
The golden rule of tanning is that MOIST SKIN TANS BEST! The heat and light from indoor tanning sessions can dry your skin. To prolong your tan, we recommend you moisturize frequently. Choose the right tanning lotion before tanning and always moisturize after tanning, bathing or any time your skin feels dry.
WARNING! If you are taking medication, please consult a pharmacist or physician prior to indoor tanning. Some medications can cause sensitivity to UV light.
What are indoor tanning lotions?
Indoor tanning lotions are scientifically designed for your skin. They are formulated to work with your melanin, speeding up the tanning process to create a natural, deep tan. All tanning lotions are divided into a 3-step system and are exclusive to tanning salons.
Step 1 Products
- Designed for beginner tanners with little or no existing tan
- Jump-start the development of a golden base tan
- A properly developed base tan is the first step to a healthy, long lasting tan
Step 2 Products
- For deep, dark results beyond the tanning plateau
- Formulated for advanced tanners that have an existing base tan
Step 3 Products
- Preserve, protect and extend the life of your tan
- Hydrating ingredients help condition skin to replenish moisture and prevent peeling
- To be used after tanning and bathing
- Delivers essential moisture to lock in your tan
If you’re not sure which product is right for you, consult one of our knowledgeable staff.
If you have any more questions abut sunless or indoor tanning, please ask our staff at your next visit to Hawaiian Heat Tanning Salon or send us your comments online.